THE HISTORY of the Old Wilsonians Association

The Old Wilsonians Association were originally on a ground in Dulwich Common until moving to the adjacent school playing fields after the second World War.

In 1959 the OW Association moved to its present headquarters with the acquisition of the Hayes Hill Sports Ground. This was achieved by the sterling efforts of the OW Association Management Committee of that time, lead by its President A.W. (Bert) Bourner. The purchase of the ground was financed by OW Association funds, a mortgage, a contribution from the OWTC together with a substantial donation from A.W. Bourner made the existence of the Old Wilsonians’ Sports Club possible.

A.W. (Bert) Bourner with the assistance of the likes of Freddie Cross, Bill Penfold, Tom Richardson, Freddie Lang and E.G. Camden Pratt were instrumental in setting up the OW Sports Club and its management which has been well served since 1959 by past Presidents, committee officials and members.

The OW Sports Club comprises of the OW Football Club, OW Cricket Club and Colts section, Lawn Tennis Club, Squash Club , Golf Club and finally, Social membership.

Over the years additions and improvements to the Ground and its facilities have included squash courts, all weather floodlit tennis facilities, refurbished clubhouse, changing rooms, bar and kitchen. The most recent acquisition is the purchase of a piece of land owned by Ex.Blues for new cricket nets in 2010 and a new boundary fence with a gated entrance.

These improvements have been achieved by way of securing grants and loans, receiving gifts and legacies from OW’s fund-raising and of course, lots of voluntary hard work by OW’s and club members, past and present.

It is hoped that this commitment will be carried by future generations of Old Wilsonians.

As we were originally an Old Boys Association we attempt to live up to the motto of the School :- NON SIBI SED OMNIBUS (Not for one but for all)

O.W. Association Notable Events

1615

Wilson’s Grammar School founded

1882

School rebuilt in Camberwell

1886

OLD WILSONIANS’ Cricket Club founded

1888

OLD WILSONIANS’ Football Club founded

1904

OLD WILSONIANS’ Association founded

OLD WILSONIANS’ Chess Club founded

1905

Inaugural OWA Dinner

OLD WILSONIANS’ Rifle Club founded

First issue of OLD WILSONIANS’ Chronicle published

1909

Inaugural OWFC .v. The School Match

1918

OLD WILSONIANS’ buy Premarin online Musical and Drama Society founded

1928

OLD WILSONIANS’ Dramatic and Play Reading Society founded

1931

OWA Lease Sports Ground in Dulwich

1933

OLD WILSONIANS’ Lawn Tennis Club founded

1939-1946

OWA Activities suspended due to the outbreak of second world war

1947

OLD WILSONIANS’ Drama Club founded

1948

OLD WILSONIANS’ Masonic Lodge consecrated

1951

OLD WILSONIANS’ Badminton Club founded

1956

OLD WILSONIANS’ Bridge Club founded

1959

OWA PURCHASES SPORTS GROUND AT HAYES

Inaugural OWA Gala Day at Hayes

OLD WILSONIANS’ Sailing, Motoring and Photographic and Arts Clubs founded

1961

Opening of the Green Coat Building at Camberwell sponsored by Mary Datchelor School

1964

OLD WILSONIANS’ Association Diamond Jubilee

1965

350th Anniversary of founding Wilson’s Grammar School

Commemoration Ball held at Quaglinos

Anniversary Gala Day held at the school sports ground First alterations to OW Sports Club at Hayes

1967

OLD WILSONIANS’ Cross Country Club founded

1969

OWA financial crises – Save the OLD WILSONIANS’ – EGM held

OWA receive short term loan from Wilson’s School governors

Fifty OW’s lend interest free loans amounting to £4000

Decision to build squash courts to increase income

Rentals charged to subsidiary clubs for the first time

OWA Committee and Management System introduced

OW Dramatic Society—winners of the Lambeth Drama Festival

1971

Sports Club improvements—including The Presidents Lounge

Improved bar facilities, games room, refurbished showers and dressing rooms

1973

OWA Squash courts opened

Inaugural OWA Donkey Derby held at Hayes

1974

OWA financial crises—period of loan repayments extended

1974

Wilson’s Grammar School moves to Wallington as Wilson’s School

1975

OWA outstanding loans repaid

OWFC win the Old Boys Cup and AFA Surrey Senior Cup for the first time

1979

OLD WILSONIANS ASSOCIATION 75th ANNIVERSARY

1982

OWFC organises the HFC Trust Soccer Classic at Selhurst Park Between the England World Cup XI and an HFC Celebrity Team

1983

OWFC organises Jimmy Greaves Southern Internationals vsBobby Charlton’s Northern Internationals

1984

Squash team playing in Division 1 of the N.W. Kent league

1986

OWCC Centenary year lunch held at the Cafe Royale with Viv Richards and other Celebrities

OWCC Centenary Presidents Cricket Week

1988

OWFC Centenary year with dinner held at Fairfield Halls Croydon

Inaugural OWA benefit greyhound race night

1989

OWLTC install all weather surface at Sports Club

1991

OWCC first tour to Barbados with a party of 75

New kitchen installed in Sports Club

1994

OLD WILSONIANS ASSOCIATION 90th ANNIVERSARY

1997

OWCC Colts Section formed

1998

Sports Ground improvements—All weather synthetic grass courts & Macadam hard courts achieved through Lottery Funding

2000

Sports Club improvements—New roof and meeting room

2001

Squash team re-promoted to N.W. Kent league Division 1

2002

OLD WILSONIANS ASSOCIATION CENTENARY

OWFC join the S.A.L.

OWA Inaugural Past Presidents Lunch

2005

OWCC awarded CLUBMARK

OWFC run 10 sides on Saturdays for the first time

Terry Adams 1st player to play 1000 games for OWFC

2006

OWA inaugural NATWEST Club Force

2008

OWA installation of Pike’s electronic score board and score box – opened by Mike Gatting

OWCC CLUBMARK reaccredited

OWCC awarded Chance to Shine Status and became a Focus club

OWFC Achieve Charter Status

Mike Harris made Life President of OWFC

OWFC obtain joint use of Hawesdown School playing fields

2009

Geoff Robinson became the 2nd player to play 1000 games for OWFC

OWA purchase land from Ex Blues for new cricket nets

New Boundary fence and electronic gates erected

OWA CELEBRATION OF THE 50th ANNIVERSARY OF THE PURCHASE OF THE SPORTS GROUND AT HAYES

Football Advert 2

Advertisement