OW Squash & Racketball AGM Minutes

Posted 6th February 2019

Hello from Old Wilsonians Squash & Racketball Club
OLD WILSONIANS SQUASH AND RACKETBALL CLUB
Minutes from Annual General Meeting held on 7 November 2018
Attendees: Ross Hartley (Chairman), Anton Snowsill (Secretary), Mike Drodz (out-going Treasurer), David Thompson (Team Captain), Tom Roberts (in-coming Treasurer), Ian Thompson, Bill Hartley, Paul Jenkins, Victor Mills.
Apologies for absence received from: Lee Sheppard (Membership Secretary), Luke Loveridge
Any relevant actions from the meeting are highlighted in bold below.
1. Chairman’s Report
This report is an opportunity for me to highlight some of the key achievements this year within OWSRC, as well as give my thoughts on how the Club is operating.
Firstly, I’d like to propose a vote of thanks to Mike Drodz, who is standing down as Treasurer, having looked after our finances for two years. It’s fair to say that when he took over, the book-keeping was in a pretty sorry state, and I’d argue since then it has never been better managed. Thank you Mike for your efforts. Subject to election later on – where I don’t envisage there being a problem! - I hope that Tom Roberts can maintain the standard, as it is reassuring for our Club to know that money is accounted for and being handled efficiently.
The other committee members have gone about things keenly and effectively – another year done and thank you for your efforts this past year. Well-run subsidiary clubs within the OWA help to keep the cogs turning and ensure the Association thrives. Your efforts are appreciated by central council. Speaking of central council, the OWA AGM is on 11 December and all OWSRC members are invited to attend to hear about the progress of the Association as a whole over the past year.
Earlier in the summer, our courts received some TLC, having been fully refurbished in 2017. The committee is unanimous in that this should remain an annual event to maintain playing conditions and enjoyment on court. Dave Thompson has subsequently overseen the expansion of the viewing gallery adjacent to Court 1.
The Club continues to offer two annual competitions in both squash and racketball – namely the Open tournaments (whereby opponents are drawn and play each other, irrespective of ability) and the Handicap tournaments (which level the playing field and give those with less ability the chance to get to a Final.) It has become one of my bugbears that these tournaments seemingly become harder to conclude every time we hold them. This is due to members (who voluntarily sign up to enter the competition) not playing their games on time (or at all!) This then delays the progress of the tournaments and quite often the Finals nights become a damp squib with no support, or in the case of racketball this year – the tournaments were abandoned! I would urge members who sign up for these competitions to embrace them and play the games for which they have entered. It isn’t fair on other members, who organise their games on time, to be held up waiting for an opponent, or claiming a walk-over in the semi-final or final, simply because an opponent never materialises. It also isn’t fair on the members organising the tournaments as they are the ones who end up chasing those who haven’t played on time. I would like to invite discussion on this matter in AOB as things cannot continue in the same vein next year.
The Priory League team is now playing in Division 4 which represents excellent progress, since they started in Division 6 a couple of years ago. More from Dave on that later.
Ian Thompson continues to oversee the ladder league which is displayed on the wall in the changing room. If you would like to be involved, please contact Ian for more information.
A fundraiser night was held in August to try and cover some of the expense of the court works, and maintain our account balance. Nevertheless, our funds are in a healthy position, and I would like make a financial proposal in AOB which might be of benefit to the Association in 2019.
And finally, in my report in 2016 I commented on how quickly time seems to pass: one committee year seems to race by and before you know it, you’re sitting at another AGM. Since I wrote that, I’ve been Chairman for another two years; a total of six years at present. Over the past few months I’ve thought about how long I want to - or ought to - hold this position. It is a position that shouldn’t be held indefinitely, just because the status quo is seemingly accepted. Having dwelt on the matter, I’ve come to the decision that I will step down at our AGM in October 2019. By then, I will have done seven years as Chairman. Other Clubs in OWA have positions ranging in term length from 1-4 years, with two years probably being the average. I feel it’s probably the right time to encourage a new Chairman to step forward. I will endeavour to identify a replacement over the coming year, but if anyone wishes to be considered to take it on, please make yourself known to me.
RH to make enquiries

2. Treasurer’s Report
Annual financial summary is attached for your perusal. Our account is in a healthy position.

3. Membership Secretary’s Report

In Lee’s absence, it was commented that yet again membership fees have taken time to be collected. At the time of the meeting, around 60% of the membership has renewed.
Members yet to renew – please do so ASAP!
4. Team Captain’s Report
The Priory League Team will be promoted from the 5th to the 4th division this season, finishing overall 1st! We are playing with 7 or 8 regular players; enough for one team but with more players we could have two teams in the future.
5. Election of Officers
The existing committee was re-elected en mass, with the exception of Mike Drodz who stood down at this meeting. Tom Roberts was welcomed onto the Committee as the new Treasurer.
6. Any Other Business
Public Liability Awareness needs to be investigated.
RH to enquire about this topic at next Central Council meeting.

The Membership is to be sent an email reminder that they are not covered by England Squash & Racketball (ESR) insurance, since we are no longer affiliated to this body (apart from Priory Team members who require affiliation in order to enter the Leagues.) If any member is unhappy with this arrangement, they are to make themselves known and we can advise on how to subscribe to ESR.
AS to send email reminder to membership.
There is a need to attract new (and ideally, younger) members, perhaps by offering an open day with coach participation and approaching local schools
DT to make internal enquiries with the team coach please.

In light of our healthy financial situation (as outlined above), RH suggested the Committee might like to make a donation to the central council’s account to help with cash-flow. The Association works on a shoestring – very much hand-to-mouth- and the past year has been an expensive one for the Association. RH proposed to ask the Council at next meeting whether a relatively small donation of a few thousand pounds might help alleviate some of the pressure.
RH to enquire about this topic at next Central Council meeting and feedback to Committee at next meeting.

The handicap tournament to be initiated in January with a February start. The last games should be played by 26/3/19, and the final to be held in April on date TBC.
After much discussion, it was decided that the Open Tournament would be dropped this year, since its uptake is pretty much the Priory Team members with little interest from the general membership. If demand is present this year, we can reintroduce this tournament next year.
IT to oversee the running of the handicapped tournament.

RH has confirmed he will make enquiries about getting tournament winners’ boards made up, in lieu of trophies being awarded for each tournament. Possible location for the boards is down the end of the squash court corridor, or upstairs close to the gallery.

Post-meeting note: RH circulated an email to the Committee confirming that MDF boards (with hardwood veneer) could be sourced for £1000.00. Please could the committee confirm they are happy for RH to proceed for this sum.
RH to implement once approval is received from the Committee.

RH has confirmed he will seek approval from Central Council to install a mains-water drinking fountain/outlet for benefit of the Membership (and wider Association members.)
RH to enquire about this topic at next Central Council meeting and feedback to Committee at next meeting.

There being no other business, the meeting was closed at 10pm.

Ross Hartley, Chairman
January 2019

Hello from Old Wilsonians Squash & Racketball Club
OLD WILSONIANS SQUASH AND RACKETBALL CLUB
Minutes from Annual General Meeting held on 7 November 2018
Attendees: Ross Hartley (Chairman), Anton Snowsill (Secretary), Mike Drodz (out-going Treasurer), David Thompson (Team Captain), Tom Roberts (in-coming Treasurer), Ian Thompson, Bill Hartley, Paul Jenkins, Victor Mills.
Apologies for absence received from: Lee Sheppard (Membership Secretary), Luke Loveridge
Any relevant actions from the meeting are highlighted in bold below.
1. Chairman’s Report
This report is an opportunity for me to highlight some of the key achievements this year within OWSRC, as well as give my thoughts on how the Club is operating.
Firstly, I’d like to propose a vote of thanks to Mike Drodz, who is standing down as Treasurer, having looked after our finances for two years. It’s fair to say that when he took over, the book-keeping was in a pretty sorry state, and I’d argue since then it has never been better managed. Thank you Mike for your efforts. Subject to election later on – where I don’t envisage there being a problem! - I hope that Tom Roberts can maintain the standard, as it is reassuring for our Club to know that money is accounted for and being handled efficiently.
The other committee members have gone about things keenly and effectively – another year done and thank you for your efforts this past year. Well-run subsidiary clubs within the OWA help to keep the cogs turning and ensure the Association thrives. Your efforts are appreciated by central council. Speaking of central council, the OWA AGM is on 11 December and all OWSRC members are invited to attend to hear about the progress of the Association as a whole over the past year.
Earlier in the summer, our courts received some TLC, having been fully refurbished in 2017. The committee is unanimous in that this should remain an annual event to maintain playing conditions and enjoyment on court. Dave Thompson has subsequently overseen the expansion of the viewing gallery adjacent to Court 1.
The Club continues to offer two annual competitions in both squash and racketball – namely the Open tournaments (whereby opponents are drawn and play each other, irrespective of ability) and the Handicap tournaments (which level the playing field and give those with less ability the chance to get to a Final.) It has become one of my bugbears that these tournaments seemingly become harder to conclude every time we hold them. This is due to members (who voluntarily sign up to enter the competition) not playing their games on time (or at all!) This then delays the progress of the tournaments and quite often the Finals nights become a damp squib with no support, or in the case of racketball this year – the tournaments were abandoned! I would urge members who sign up for these competitions to embrace them and play the games for which they have entered. It isn’t fair on other members, who organise their games on time, to be held up waiting for an opponent, or claiming a walk-over in the semi-final or final, simply because an opponent never materialises. It also isn’t fair on the members organising the tournaments as they are the ones who end up chasing those who haven’t played on time. I would like to invite discussion on this matter in AOB as things cannot continue in the same vein next year.
The Priory League team is now playing in Division 4 which represents excellent progress, since they started in Division 6 a couple of years ago. More from Dave on that later.
Ian Thompson continues to oversee the ladder league which is displayed on the wall in the changing room. If you would like to be involved, please contact Ian for more information.
A fundraiser night was held in August to try and cover some of the expense of the court works, and maintain our account balance. Nevertheless, our funds are in a healthy position, and I would like make a financial proposal in AOB which might be of benefit to the Association in 2019.
And finally, in my report in 2016 I commented on how quickly time seems to pass: one committee year seems to race by and before you know it, you’re sitting at another AGM. Since I wrote that, I’ve been Chairman for another two years; a total of six years at present. Over the past few months I’ve thought about how long I want to - or ought to - hold this position. It is a position that shouldn’t be held indefinitely, just because the status quo is seemingly accepted. Having dwelt on the matter, I’ve come to the decision that I will step down at our AGM in October 2019. By then, I will have done seven years as Chairman. Other Clubs in OWA have positions ranging in term length from 1-4 years, with two years probably being the average. I feel it’s probably the right time to encourage a new Chairman to step forward. I will endeavour to identify a replacement over the coming year, but if anyone wishes to be considered to take it on, please make yourself known to me.
RH to make enquiries

2. Treasurer’s Report
Annual financial summary is attached for your perusal. Our account is in a healthy position.

3. Membership Secretary’s Report

In Lee’s absence, it was commented that yet again membership fees have taken time to be collected. At the time of the meeting, around 60% of the membership has renewed.
Members yet to renew – please do so ASAP!
4. Team Captain’s Report
The Priory League Team will be promoted from the 5th to the 4th division this season, finishing overall 1st! We are playing with 7 or 8 regular players; enough for one team but with more players we could have two teams in the future.
5. Election of Officers
The existing committee was re-elected en mass, with the exception of Mike Drodz who stood down at this meeting. Tom Roberts was welcomed onto the Committee as the new Treasurer.
6. Any Other Business
Public Liability Awareness needs to be investigated.
RH to enquire about this topic at next Central Council meeting.

The Membership is to be sent an email reminder that they are not covered by England Squash & Racketball (ESR) insurance, since we are no longer affiliated to this body (apart from Priory Team members who require affiliation in order to enter the Leagues.) If any member is unhappy with this arrangement, they are to make themselves known and we can advise on how to subscribe to ESR.
AS to send email reminder to membership.
There is a need to attract new (and ideally, younger) members, perhaps by offering an open day with coach participation and approaching local schools
DT to make internal enquiries with the team coach please.

In light of our healthy financial situation (as outlined above), RH suggested the Committee might like to make a donation to the central council’s account to help with cash-flow. The Association works on a shoestring – very much hand-to-mouth- and the past year has been an expensive one for the Association. RH proposed to ask the Council at next meeting whether a relatively small donation of a few thousand pounds might help alleviate some of the pressure.
RH to enquire about this topic at next Central Council meeting and feedback to Committee at next meeting.

The handicap tournament to be initiated in January with a February start. The last games should be played by 26/3/19, and the final to be held in April on date TBC.
After much discussion, it was decided that the Open Tournament would be dropped this year, since its uptake is pretty much the Priory Team members with little interest from the general membership. If demand is present this year, we can reintroduce this tournament next year.
IT to oversee the running of the handicapped tournament.

RH has confirmed he will make enquiries about getting tournament winners’ boards made up, in lieu of trophies being awarded for each tournament. Possible location for the boards is down the end of the squash court corridor, or upstairs close to the gallery.

Post-meeting note: RH circulated an email to the Committee confirming that MDF boards (with hardwood veneer) could be sourced for £1000.00. Please could the committee confirm they are happy for RH to proceed for this sum.
RH to implement once approval is received from the Committee.

RH has confirmed he will seek approval from Central Council to install a mains-water drinking fountain/outlet for benefit of the Membership (and wider Association members.)
RH to enquire about this topic at next Central Council meeting and feedback to Committee at next meeting.

There being no other business, the meeting was closed at 10pm.

Ross Hartley, Chairman
January 2019